MIND THE GAPS!
The Futures of the Field
The 1st Annual Conference of the Comics Studies Society | August 9-11, 2018
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- What are the overlooked, understudied, and emerging areas of comics studies?
- How might comics studies expand its methodologies? What disciplines should comics studies engage with more fully?
- How can comics studies foreground issues of representation, equity and justice?
- How might new technologies and platforms change the way we define, read, teach, draw, and write about comics?
- What are the significant challenges and opportunities for the futures of comics studies?
Topics may include, but are not limited to:
- Regional gaps and understudied geographic areas
- Historical gaps and recovered cartoonists and comics
- Comics, illustration, and art history
- Collaboration in comics and comics scholarship
- Comics pedagogy and classroom canons
- Scholarship in comics form
- Comics, conflict, and geopolitics
- Webcomics and digital technologies
- Critical race theory, ethnicity studies and comics
- Queer theory, sexuality studies and comics
- Postcolonial theory, settler studies, and Indigenous comics
- Science in/and comics
- Disability studies and comics studies
- Educational, governmental, and religious comics